Are you a new rider to Virginia Railway Express?
Are you a new or returning rider to Virginia Railway Express The information below is designed to assist you in planning your trip. Read through this information and if you still have questions, please feel free contact our office at 703-684-1001 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pick Your Station
First, check out our System Map and pick the stations you wish to travel to and from. If your destination is not directly next to a station, keep in mind that we connect with both metrorail and metrobus at five locations. To look at the amenities offered, click the station name to tell you not only how to get there, but what "extras" are available.
Just traveling between Alexandria and Union Station? Take Any VRE train!
What Times Do the Trains Run?
- The latest train schedules were effective as of October 18th, 2021. Please use schedule information reflecting this date.
Since we are a commuter rail system, we run northbound into DC in the morning and southbound in the afternoon and evening. Specific departure times can be found by visiting the schedule page on our website or by emailing email@example.com to request a pocket schedule to be sent to you.
Be aware that the time on the schedule is time the train will depart the station, be sure to be on the platform ready to board prior to the departure time. We suggest that you be on the platform at least 5 minutes prior to the train’s departure time.
EMPLOYER PAGE FOR SMARTBENEFITS - These two pages will help employers walk their employees through the step by step benefits allocation process and how to have those benefits allocated to the VRE mobile app.
You may also purchase a paper ticket from one of our platform Ticket Vending Machines using a debit or credit card. Or, you may purchase from one of our vendors with check, cash, Smart Benefits, or a credit/debit card. Keep in mind that tickets are NOT sold on the trains.
A Few Things That You Should Keep in Mind
Effective immediately, VRE passengers and crew members will no longer be required to wear a mask onboard the train.
Masks are optional and VRE will continue to support those passengers and crew members who wish to wear a mask.
We would like to thank everyone for their cooperation while the mask mandate was in effect.
- VRE does not operate on weekends.
- VRE does not operate on Federal Holidays. Amtrak trains may be available for some holidays; see the Amtrak page for more details. Please visit the operations calendar page for detailed information on limited and/or no service dates.
- Delays do happen. To find out if your train is delayed, sign up for our e-news/text service, Train Talk, to get the latest information about VRE, visit "Train Status" on our website.
- Have an emergency and need to get home in the middle of the day? Commuter Connections offers a Guaranteed Ride Home Program that will get you home in case of a medical or other emergency for you or your family, or unscheduled overtime.
- Safety is a priority at VRE. To learn more about VRE's culture of safety, watch the video below:
If you need more information, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 703-684-1001.
- What is VRE
- Pick Your Station
- How Much Will a Ticket Cost?
- What Times Do the Trains Run?
- How to Purchase a Ticket on Your Mobile Device
- How to Purchase a Ticket at Ticket Vending Machines
- How to Validate Your Ticket
- Bring Your Bike Aboard
- Travel Safely with VRE
- Passengers Needing Assistance
- Lost and Found Procedures