- When will VRE get Wi-Fi?
- Will VRE ever have weekend service?
- What can be done about passengers who queue in the aisle way before their stop?
- When will the new cars be in service?
- When will service start at the Potomac Shores station?
- Can VRE add additional late morning, mid-day, and evening service?
- What is being done about the over-crowding on the trains?
- Does VRE offer free parking?
- Are there bathrooms on the trains?
- Is there a cafe car? Can I bring food aboard?
- Are there power outlets on the trains?
- Do kids ride free?
- What does the "S" above the train number on the schedule mean?
- How will I know if my train is late?
- Can we take bikes on the trains?
- I want to sell cookies, doughnuts, etc. at the VRE station. What do I have to do?
- What are you doing about the people who loiter at the L'Enfant station?
- My ticket expired - what do I do?
- I purchased a Ten-Ride ticket and now will no longer need it. How do I get a refund?
- How do I use my SmartBenefits/SmarTrip card?
- What should I do if I find I have left my ticket or a personal belonging on the train?
- Tell me about Guaranteed Ride Home
- How do I subscribe or unsubscribe to Train Talk?
- How is the temperature controlled in your cars? I am always too cold or too hot!
- I have a problem with the announcements on the train. They are too loud/not loud enough!
- Why doesn't your service guarantee cover the Amtrak trains on your schedule?
- When will you offer more service?
- Why do Norfolk Southern and CSX have different policies?
FAQs from the Online Forum
Q: When will VRE get Wi-Fi?
Q: Will VRE ever have weekend service?
Q: What can be done about passengers who queue in the aisle way before their stop?
Q: When will the new cars be in service?
Q: When will service start at the Potomac Shores station?
Q: Can VRE add additional late morning, mid-day, and evening service?
Q: What is being done about the over-crowding on the trains?
For Those Who Are New to VRE
Q: Does VRE offer free parking?
A: VRE offers free daily and overnight parking at most of our stations. You can keep a car at most stations for free as long as you need. However, remember that parking is always at your own risk.
To view station amenities, including parking information, please visit our station page and click on the station of your choice.
Special Parking Information:
- Parking is not available at Alexandria, Crystal City or L'Enfant.
- Union Station has a large parking garage available for a fee.
- A Metro parking facility is available at Franconia-Springfield. A SmarTrip card is required. For more information, please call WMATA at (202) 637-7000.
- Parking at the VRE Quantico station may require security checks.
- If you plan to park at Manassas, you will need a permit. Please visit the Manassas Parking Page for more information:(http://www.vre.org/service/stations/manassas/manassas-parking-information/).
- Fredericksburg station has 644 free parking spaces available in different lots located within a few blocks of the station. Restrictions apply to some of the lots according to residency. See our Fredericksburg Station parking page for detailed information and restrictions.
Q: Are there bathrooms on the trains?
Q: Is there a cafe car? Can I bring food aboard?
Q: Are there power outlets on the trains?
Q: Do kids ride free?
Q: What does the "S" above the train number on the schedule mean?
Q: How will I know if my train is late?
- Call our information hotline at (703) 684-0400 or 1-800-RIDE-VRE. Our automated system will keep you updated on any delays that are occurring.
- Our "Train Status" tool is a web based program that allows passengers to get up-to-date information on where their train is located. To view your train's status, simply place your mouse over the train and you will get a "pop-up" box indicating the train's position.
- Finally, riders may subscribe to Train Talk or Twitter to receive automatic updates customized especially for their travel needs on any computer or mobile device.
- If you have already reached the station, listen for station platform announcements.
Q: Can we take bikes on the trains?
- Full size bicycles must board at the northern-most car on the train and use the southern half of the car.
- No more than two (2) full size bicycles are allowed on the car. If the car already has two bicycles, you cannot bring your bicycle on the train and must wait for the next one.
- Full size bicycles must be tethered to the bench seats using a bungee cord attached to the eyelet on the seat frame. The south end bench is distinguishable by only having four (4) folding seats. Bicyclists will be responsible for securing their bicycle.
- The bench seating on the north end of the car is priority seating for passengers with disabilities. This area is located directly across from the restroom and cannot be used for bicycles.
- If the bench seating for full size bicycles is occupied by passengers, the bicycle rider may ask the passenger to vacate the seat or ask the conductor for assistance if the passenger is unwilling to move. The priority will be for the bicycles.
- For the safety and convenience of our other riders, bicycles will be boarded and removed last after all other passengers have boarded or detrained.
- Passengers are not permitted to ride any bicycle on the platforms or trains.
- All bicycles must be clean and free of grease.
- VRE will not be responsible for the security of bicycles brought on board.
Q: I want to sell cookies, doughnuts, etc. at the VRE station. What do I have to do?
A: VRE does not allow any sales of goods or services on its platforms.
For Those Who Have Been Riding VRE Longer
Q: What are you doing about the people who loiter at the L'Enfant station?
Q: My ticket expired - what do I do?
A: We no longer exchange or refund expired tickets.
Q: I purchased a Ten-Ride ticket and now will no longer need it. How do I get a refund?
Q: How do I use my SmartBenefits/SmarTrip card?
Q: What should I do if I find I have left my ticket or a personal belonging on the train?
Q: Tell me about Guaranteed Ride Home
A: Virginia Railway Express is pleased to participate in a special service that can get you home in case of emergency. Commuter Connections "Guaranteed Ride Home" (GRH) is a special service that can get you home in case of emergency. This program is free and available to all VRE passengers. To learn more about how the program works, or to sign up, please visit the Commuter Connections website.
Q: How do I subscribe or unsubscribe to Train Talk?
A: If you would like to subscribe or unsubscribe your email address, simply visit the Train Talk page and follow the prompts. If you need assistance, contact the VRE office weekdays between 7:00a and 7:00p at (703) 684-1001.
Q: How is the temperature controlled in your cars? I am always too cold or too hot!
Q: I have a problem with the announcements on the train. They are too loud/not loud enough!
Q: Why doesn't your service guarantee cover the Amtrak trains on your schedule?
Q: When will you offer more service?
Q: Why do Norfolk Southern and CSX have different policies?
A: The short answer is that each railroad operates efficient and safe. Railroading is an inexact science and many challenges faced are met in different, but equally effective, ways. The approach to track restrictions in different kinds of weather is one of those challenges. The difference in heat policies is due to CSX having a lot more train traffic on their tracks than Norfolk Southern. This means they have more friction related heat (from the trains themselves). As a result, they have more speed restrictions to compensate for this additional heat related factor.